Tuesday 18 November 2014

Ah, Georgette!

 Sir Richard sighed. "Rid yourself of the notion that I cherish any villainous designs upon your person," he said. "I imagine I might well be your father. How old are you?"   
"I am turned seventeen."  
"Well, I am nearly thirty," said Sir Richard.  
Miss Creed worked this out. "You couldn't possibly be my father!"  
"I am far too drunk to solve arithmetical problems. Let it suffice that I have not the slightest intention of making love to you.”

Georgette Heyer, The Corinthian

My life at seventeen was really quite dull by Georgette Heyer's standards, I must say.

2 comments:

  1. Bahaha!

    I've read a few of Heyer's books now, after having seen you mention her on Seraphic Singles. I enjoy them as a light alternative to academic readings. And as a way to pass the time on tedious train journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are great fun, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete

This is Edinburgh Housewife, a blog for Catholic women and other women of good will. It assumes that the average reader is an unmarried, childless Catholic woman over 18. Commenters are asked to take that into consideration before commenting. Anonymous comments may be erased.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.